Tuesday 2 March 2010

3d flower tut

A huge thankyou to my mate Angiebabe for teaching me how to make 3d flowers from 6 sided punchies. I've been meaning to get the technique translated into an svg file & tutorial since last summer. The files have been made for ages but seeing as the girls are coming to make flower embellies next week I thought I'd better get the tutorial up.

For the tutorial I'm using my scalloped rose svg but it can be done with any symmetrical design of punch or die. You could even use scalloped circle or border punches.


If using my svg file simply drag to the required size and cut from a nice paper. Not worth using card as it's hard work getting it to bend nicely.

If using punches cut the petals down as per the picture. It's going to take 4 punchies.


Using a large embossing tool to gently curl the top edges.











Apply some strong glue to the top of one of the edge petals.

I'm using tombow mono multi. OMG this glue is the business how did I ever not know about it. It's got an amazing grab power within a couple of seconds, even for box tabs. (Knowing that it's repo I even coated the back of some of my ums last night and they're sticking well to the blocks and laminate carriers).



Enough of the raving about glue and on with the tut.
Gently ease the adjoining petal over the top of the glue.












You'll now have a 5 petaled flower that's sitting proud of the mat.









Repeat this step for the 5, 4, and 3 petal pieces. You will now have 4 layers of the flower.










The 2 and 1 petal flower have to be gently rolled before glueing one edge down.












If you feel it's looking a bit flat you can gently ease a pencil inside while the glue is drying.







Using some dimensional glue or tombow to stick the layers into each other. My own preference is pinflair glue gel as it dries clear and doesnt smell. The tombow does work and doesnt need the drying time but I want to make the centres stand proud.


Leave the flower well alone until the glue has had chance to set. Top tip... leave the flowers to dry on some nonstick cooking mats. I've have a few stick to the card they were standing on and my marble chopping board has to be scrapped to get rid of the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment